For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to create my own signature line of goalkeeper gloves. Quality gloves that can be used in grass roots level soccer, right through to the most elite levels.’ Chris Sharpe, Co-founder and Director
Realization of this dream started back at Thanksgiving 2015 and a chance dinner conversation with my long-time friend and fellow football professional, Andy Ravanello. I’d had experience in designing gloves for ‘Select’ and was keen to create my own designs. Andy had experience in creating brands and with importing and exporting. With this combined experience and a shared passion for football, the idea for the CoreGK brand of goalkeeper gloves was born.
The back story
Our passion for football spans several decades, countries and experiences. I first knew of Andy back in 1994, when we played for the same club. Andy was playing in the club’s First team and I was in the U14 team.
We first played against each other in 2001, in the Australian National Soccer League, though it wasn’t until 2004 that we really met, introduced through my US agent. A close friendship formed, with football to remain a major component in both of our lives, Andy playing professionally in Australia, Europe and the US and myself in the US, Scandinavia, UK and Australia.
As a professional goalkeeper and goalkeeper coach, it is of paramount importance to me that our gloves be of the highest quality. A two-year process of designing, testing and sampling was undertaken, ensuring we found the right manufacturing partners to deliver standard of product that we expect.
Each glove has been specifically designed to focus on functionality, comfort and durability, using only the highest quality materials, sourced from across the globe.
Unlike other products on the market, CoreGK gloves feature 4 mm latex to the fingers and 3.5 mm latex on the back of the glove. Removable finger protection (‘stays’) provides the option for goalkeepers to adjust the gloves to their preferred style of keeping. The stays assist with punching the ball, while their removal is well suited to those seeking greater flexibility. The elasticated wrist band with adjustable velcro wrap-around strap ensures a secure fit. Where other gloves are thin, making it hard to catch the ball, CoreGK gloves have been designed with extra thickness, making it easy to absorb the ball.
With unique features specific to both our youth and adult ranges, the gloves provide the ultimate handling experience for all levels of junior, senior and professional football.
Our gloves have been rigorously tested in real-life training and game play situations and the feedback is great! Here’s what some of our goalkeepers have to say about CoreGK products:
- ‘I really like the grip and the comfort of the glove.’ CS Elite glove
- ‘It has that thick latex I like, for controlling where you put the ball.’ CS Elite glove
- ‘The roll thumb assists young players with their distribution of the ball.’ CS Elite glove
- ‘You can really feel the ball with your knuckles…it allows you to get good contact with the ball.’ CS Junior glove
- ‘I would feel comfortable wearing them in any situation.’ FS Pro glove
- ‘The dual-sided latex gives extra thickness for a goalkeeper to control where the ball goes.’ RF Pro glove
- ‘The roll finger gives it that little bit more room to move fingers for extra touches on the ball.’ RF Pro glove
It wasn’t enough though, to create a range of superior quality gloves, we wanted them to be affordable as well. A goalkeeper can go through several pairs of gloves in a season. This may be OK for our professional and elite level players but at the grassroots, it can take a toll on a family’s budget. Designing gloves that are attractive, hard wearing, high-performing AND affordable is an achievement that we are very proud of.
‘I am very proud of the CoreGK range and believe that we have created a premium product at very affordable prices.’
Chris Sharpe, Co-founder and Director
Chris is currently a part of the MLS Colorado Rapids Technical staff, where he serves as an Assistant Coach and Goalkeeper coach. He is the Colorado Rapids Academy Director of Goalkeeping, where he works with Rapids youth players of all ages and ability levels. He also fills the role of Goalkeeper Coach for Colorado’s US Soccer Training Center sessions.
- Two-time MLS All-stars Goalkeeper Coach
- Director, Core Goalkeeper Academy
- Played professionally for: Colorado Rapids (MLS), Koge BK and Viborg FF (Denmark), Chesterfield FC (UK), Parramatta Power, and Northern Spirit (Australia).
- Southampton FC and Blackburn Rovers (UK)
- Australian Under 23 National Team Training Camps
- Australian Under 20 National Team Squad
Andy Ravanello, Co-founder and Director
Andy played professional soccer in Australia, England, France and the US. He spent several years in the US as a collegiate soccer coach and continues to coach soccer in Australia.